Friday 5 August 2016

Devi Mahatmyam


Sri Devi Mahatmyam
Prathama Charitham
(First Part)
Pradhmao adhyaya: Madhu Kaidaba Vadha Varnanam
Chapter 1: Description of Killing of Madhu and Kaidabha.

16.  Thathra viprasramaabhyase Vaisyamekham dadarsa sa,
       Sa prashtasthena kasthwam bho hethuschagamanethra ka.

That king saw near the sage’s hermitage a Vaisya(One who belongs to the community of business people) and asked him, “Who are you? And why have you come here?”

17.  Sasoka iva kasmathwam durmana iva lakshyase.,
       Ityakarnya vachasthasya bhoopathe pranayo ditham.

18.  Prathyuvacha sa tham vaisya prasrayavanatho nrupam.

To the loving question by the king as to why he was sad and appeared with a disturbed mind, that Vysya with humility told the king.

19.  Vaisyo Uvacha:-
       Samadhirnama Vysyo Aham uthpanno dhaninam kule,
       Puthra dharairnirasthascha dhanalobhada sadhubhi,
       Viheenaswajanairdharai puthrairadhaya me dhanam

20.  Vanambhyagadho dukhee nirasthaschapthabandhbhi.
Vaisya told:-

       “I am Vysya called Samadhi, born in a rich family. Because of intense desire for money, I was robbed of all my wealth and driven out by my wives and sons who were of bad character. Thus I, without my wives sons and forsaken by my intimate friends, have arrived in this forest with intense sorrow. ”

(to be contd.....)


No comments:

Post a Comment